Denver Post, November 2016 — Present:
Digital Strategist, The Know & The Know Outdoors (June 2018 – Present)
- Manage The Know Outdoors vertical online and have increased monthly pageviews by 318% through SEO, social media and audience engagement
- Collaborate and coordinate among entertainment, breaking and visual departments to ensure articles generate pageviews and convert subscribers
- Identify breaking and high-interest stories for the entertainment team and write articles when reporters are not available
- Created newsletters for outdoors and food content and revamped an existing entertainment newsletter; all three have open rates between 44%-52% and CTORs of 19-24%
- Developed an evergreen strategy to resurface existing content and to guide the creation of new stories with a heavy emphasis on SEO and social
- Led the strategy behind an award-winning video series on Colorado’s food industry
- Hosted community discussion groups across the state and created a teen essay contest for young people to share their experiences as part of a project on teen suicide in Colorado
Breaking and General Assignment Reporter (November 2016 – June 2018)
- Averaged 22 print stories, 39 online stories and 459,591 page views per month.
- Pitched and executed a profile series exploring Colorado’s LGBTQ community, which won the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association’s Excellence in Profile Writing in 2018
- Pitched and helped execute innovative ideas for online including a music video, online quiz, Facebook Live and a 360 photo of the first Women’s March.
- Started a semi-regular column exploring vegetarian and vegan living in Denver through restaurant guides, recipes and health tips.
Cronkite News, January — May 2016
- Reported on a variety of stories ranging from tight-deadline dailies on congressional hearings to long-term enterprises that explored Federal Election Commission numbers and large federal datasets.
- Localized national stories, interviewed high-profile politicians and shot photos of rallies and congressional hearings.
- Created interactive data visualizations using web-based platforms, including Google Fusion Tables and Infogram, and utilized multimedia tools for reporting and storytelling, such as creating a 360-degree interactive photo and photos overlayed with audio.
Microsoft News, June — August 2015
Web Producer Intern
- Increased political section readership by 20 percent by monitoring real-time analytics with Chart Beat, analyzing monthly readership performance on Adobe Omniture, adjusting headlines and incorporating personal news judgment.
Phoenix Business Journal, August — December 2014
- Published articles daily online and weekly in print with stories ranging from workplace trends and breaking news to profiles and blogs.
- Pitched, reported and shot photos for a cover story examining the economic impacts following the legalization of same-sex marriage.
Arizona Republic, August 2013 — May 2014
Breaking News Intern
- Published three to five times a day online and three to four times a week in Arizona’s largest daily paper while monitoring 911 dispatches, police scanners and social media.
- Chased breaking news by visiting crime scenes, canvasing neighborhoods, requesting public records, attending court hearings and shooting photos and videos.
Downtown Devil, August 2012 – December 2015
News Director, Managing Board Member, Education Editor, Columnist, Staff Reporter
- Improved readership by 32 percent for an award-winning independent student publication with articles picked up by the Nieman Lab, Romenesko and the American Press Institute.
- Served as News Director when the publication won SPJ’s 2014 Best Independent Online Student Publication and 2015 Best Independent Online Student Publication finalist for Region 11.
Arizona State University, August 2012 — May 2016
Summa Cum Laude
Barrett, The Honors College and Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Master of Mass Communication (M.M.C) and Bachelor of Arts, Journalism (B.A.)
- Minor in U.S. History
- President of the National Lesbian and Gay Journalist Association ASU chapter
InDesign + Illustrator + Photoshop + HTML/CSS + Google Analytics + Parse.ly + SEO + WordPress + Canva